Office 365 is the online version of Microsoft Office 2016, and it comes in several versions. The major differences are:
Office 365 University: Office 365 University is now available for current students, staff and faculty to download and use at no charge. See our Office 365 University article for complete information on this service.
Office 365 "Personal": If you purchase and install a personal version of Office 365, please keep a record of your product key; it is your proof of purchase and is required to install Microsoft Office.
If you buy a physical copy of Office, the product key will be located on the back of one of the disc sleeves inside the case. If you buy a digital version, it will be in your account information on Microsoft office’s website.
Installing Office 365
- Run the setup file from either the download or the disc.
- Select Install Now.
- Follow all prompts.
Overview of Changes
Ribbons, menus, and functionality continue to exist essentially unchanged. However, the look of the applications has changed significantly, echoing the interface of modern Windows operating systems.
- Initial setup has been changed to match the Office 365 subscription model: users are prompted to either log in with their account or enter a Product Key when authenticating the programs.
- Launch screens when starting apps have been redesigned with an emphasis on clean layout and touch friendliness.
- Interfaces like the Insert Chart selector have new, cleaner layouts.
- Integration of Microsoft OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive), Microsoft's cloud storage solution.
Office 2016 is compatible with current versions of Windows. Note that Office 2016 will not install or function on PCs running Windows Vista or Windows XP.
To check how many copies of Microsoft Office are active in the Student’s account, see Office 365 University (Students)